Managers provide staff and administrative guidance for one of three camp houses.
Managers are the primary executors of the camp schedule for either the Young Adult, Alumni, or Educators house, and the first support, overseer, and point of contact for that house's staff.
Managing is an on-site residential job that includes room and board. Managers work closely with the Camp Director to plan the camp, to evaluate its success, and to ensure that it runs smoothly. This involves a strong combination of organized yet flexible practicality, and of charitable interpersonal discernment.
Managers are creative problem solvers and gifted communicators, skilled at organizing, and encouraging people to achieve particular goals.
- Overseeing a camp house consisting of between 30-60 students, 4-8 mentor staff, and all other assistants and interns assigned to the manager prior to camp.
- Facilitating the attendance and participation of students and staff members in their camp house.
- Coordinating with event, facilities, catering, transportation, speaking, and other contacts to ensure a smooth camp experience for staff and participants.
- Evaluating the charity and effectiveness of staff members in their camp house, and offering suggestions for improvement.
- Discerning staff needs and offering them or directing them to satisfying, helpful solutions.
- Resolving conflicts involving students, mentors, or other staff that are not small group related
- Dialoguing with staff members to help them discover how to feel, think, or act in unique situations.
- Working directly with the Camp Director, and communicating the director's vision for each day to their camp house staff while communicating their staff's needs and successes to the director.
- Managers should expect to spend at least 10-20 hours preparing for the camp (i.e. gaining familiarity with the camp venues, its participants, and resources), and at least 10-20 hours in staff debriefings after the camp.
April 2 - Hiring begins
April 30 - Application deadline
May 1-20 - Interviews for select applicants
May 31 - Hiring status notifications
Term of Contract
This contract is for residential employment as a Wheatstone Ministries Manager with the 2017 summer camp at Biola University (July 16-22). Employment begins at hire and ends with the fulfillment of duties at the following events:
- Staff Training: two, all-day seminars. Date and location TBD.
- Camp Week: working responsibilities start at 12:00pm on Sunday and conclude at 12:00pm on the Saturday of the camp.
- Staff Debriefing: participation with the program director in 1-2 hour reviews with each staff member of the manager's house, conducted either in-person or online within two weeks of the camp
Managers are invited to attend the camp staff after-party, though attendance is not required.
Wheatstone Ministries seeks exemplary manager applicants.
- Committed to the Christian faith and regular attendant of a Christian church
- Experienced and confident in leading others in situations of programmatic or relational complexity
- Reputation among younger students, fellow peers, and faculty members for charity and professionalism
- Willingness and capacity to endure long working days required by the camp schedule
- Bachelor's degree, completed by the time of the camp
- Exemplary performance in an undergraduate honors program, or other awards and recognitions
- Experience in professional or academic event planning or coordination
- Managerial Intern experience in a previous Wheatstone camp
Managers receive room and board during The Academy week and are compensated $700 for their services, payable at the conclusion of the camp.